The field of focused ultrasound is growing rapidly and revolutionizing medical therapy in Asia and around the world. This impact is made possible through the ambition, time, and resources of the global focused ultrasound community including scientists, clinicians, and manufacturers who have become critical partners to the Foundation.
Focused ultrasound is a platform technology that has the potential to transform the treatment of a wide variety of medical conditions. There is a large and growing number of clinical applications for focused ultrasound that are in various stages of research, development, and commercialization.
For more information, see our most recent State of the Field Report.
FUSF Funded Projects
The Foundation organizes, conducts, and funds research to advance new applications of focused ultrasound that will fulfill an unmet clinical need, are cost-effective, and can become a standard of care
- Pain Alleviation of Magnetic Resonance-guided Focused Ultrasound Surgery Treatment for Painful Medial Compartment of Knee Osteoarthritis (Motohiro Kawasaki - Kochi University School of Medicine Hospital)
- A Pivotal Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness and Safety of ExAblate Transcranial MRgFUS Thalamotomy Treatment of Medication Refractory Essential Tremor Subjects (Tokyo Women’s Medical University Hospital)
- Feasibility study to Evaluate the Safety and Effectiveness of MRgFUS Ablation of the Ventrooralis Nucleus of the Thalamus for the Treatment of Focal Hand Dystonia (Takaomi Taira - Tokyo Women’s Medical University Hospital)
- A Pivotal Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness and Safety of ExAblate Transcranial MRgFUS Thalamotomy Treatment of Medication Refractory Essential Tremor Subjects (Yonsei University Health System)
- A feasibility Study to Evaluate Safety and Initial Effectiveness of ExAblate Transcranial MR Guided Focused Ultrasound for Bilateral Anterior capsulotomy in the Treatment of Medication-Refractory MDD (Jin Woo Chang - Yonsei University Health System, Severance Hospital)
- A feasibility Study to Evaluate Safety and Initial Effectiveness of ExAblate Transcranial MR Guided Focused Ultrasound for Unilateral Pallidotomy in the Treatment of dyskinesia of Parkinson’s Disease (Jin Woo Chang - Yonsei University Health System, Severance Hospital)
- Laser-generated Focused Ultrasound Transducer for Transcranial Applications (Dong-Guk Paeng - Jeju National University)
Focused Ultrasound Foundation Hong Kong
More than 60 percent of the Foundation’s annual budget supports research projects around the world. There is a tremendous amount of focused ultrasound research activity in China, Taiwan, and other regions in Asia. The Foundation is forming a Hong Kong subsidiary through which funds may be received from Hong Kong and Asia-based philanthropists, and distributed to research institutions in Asia. Focused Ultrasound Foundation Hong Kong is projected to be operational in 2020..
FUS Partners is a new program created by the Focused Ultrasound Foundation to foster relationships among manufacturers seeking financing, partnerships, and technology transfer from academic research institutions.
FUS Partners provides the following services:
- Seek to understand the financing and partnership goals of FUS manufacturers and investors
- Connect manufacturers with both investors and other manufacturers
- Connect academic research laboratories with manufacturers
- Assist with due diligence to facilitate investments, mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, and technology transfer
FUS Partners does not make investments or provide investment advice and does not serve as a broker or otherwise receive any compensation for services. FUS Partners will, however, encourage donations to the Foundation to grow the field and de-risk the investment and/or partnerships.
For more information, visit our FUS Partners page.