The Focused Ultrasound Foundation was created to improve the lives of millions of people with serious medical disorders by accelerating the development and adoption of focused ultrasound.
Focused ultrasound is an early-stage, non-invasive therapeutic technology that could transform the treatment of many medical disorders by serving as an alternative to surgery and radiation.
Every day without it translates into unnecessary death, disability, and suffering for countless individuals.
Unfortunately, the evolution of a new therapeutic medical device from concept to standard of care is an extremely slow process that can take decades. Complicated and inefficient, the process requires the dynamic interaction of an array of organizations with different agendas and timelines. In addition, there are a numerous technology, economic, regulatory and reimbursement obstacles to be overcome.
Decades is too long for patients and their families to wait for medical breakthroughs. If we can accelerate the adoption of focused ultrasound, we can save lives.
The Focused Ultrasound Foundation is working to provide patients with this non-invasive, life-changing treatment option in the shortest time possible.
Based in Charlottesville, Virginia, the Focused Ultrasound Foundation is a tax-exempt, high-performance, entrepreneurial service organization with a global reach. We are market-driven and results-oriented. The Foundation seeks to leverage its trusted third party position through contributing financial and human resources to foster collaboration, to build knowledge and to streamline the process and overcome barriers.
The Foundation is on the leading edge of the venture philanthropy and social entrepreneurship movements and has become a model of how donor funding can be used to bridge the gap between laboratory research and widespread patient treatment.
VisionOur vision is that focused ultrasound will be used worldwide to improve the quality of life and longevity of millions of patients with serious medical conditions in the shortest time possible.
MissionThe mission of the Focused Ultrasound Foundation is to accelerate the development of new applications for focused ultrasound and the widespread adoption of the technology as a standard of care.
The Foundation’s culture is centered on our key values:
We are uncompromisingly, passionately, and obsessively committed to decreasing death, disability and suffering for patients with serious medical disorders around the world.
We are a nimble, potent organization that uses our reputation and contagious enthusiasm to instill similar energy in others to precipitate change.
We believe that we can create a reality from an imagined future through human action in an environment where our accomplishments will exceed the resources available.
We relentlessly pursue excellence in all of our activities through hard work, risk-taking, and innovation.
The evolution of a new therapeutic medical technology from laboratory research to widespread utilization is a complex process involving many stakeholders with different agendas. This can take precious time and energy while patients continue to suffer. The Foundation has developed a multi-pronged strategy, amalgamating stakeholders into a cohesive ecosystem to accelerate progress:
- Create knowledge - We influence direction of the field by organizing, conducting, and funding research through our Research Program to provide evidence of safety, efficacy, and cost that can be used by patients, physicians, regulatory agencies, payers, industry and others. In addition, we strive to make any intellectual property developed as a result of Foundation funding freely available to all parties.
- Foster collaboration - We foster collaboration—the sparkplug for innovation and the ultimate force multiplier for intellectual capital—through a variety of meetings, symposia, and workshops to rapidly achieve a critical mass of effort and knowledge
- Establish standards - We help establish best practices and set standards for research, training, and patient care through our Centers of Excellence Program.
- Collection and dissemination of knowledge - We collect and disseminate knowledge through our Communications Program and our online, open-source Journal of Therapeutic Ultrasound.
- Overcome barriers - We partner with manufacturers and other organizations to overcome barriers and expedite progress through our Regulatory and Reimbursement Program.
- Cultivation of the next generation - We provide educational opportunities for clinicians and scientists by supporting fellowships and internships through our Scholars Program.