- The issue compiles 14 articles from global research groups.
- Topics include knee osteoarthritis, liver tumors, abdominal tumors, pancreatic cancer, desmoid tumors, cervical cancer, and uterine fibroids.
- The journal also highlights the development of focused ultrasound in Asia and the United Kingdom.
The topic for the September 2021 issue of the International Journal of Hyperthermia (IJH) is, “Status and Prospects of the Clinical Applications of High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound.” The issue was guest edited by Lian Zhang, PhD, a biomedical engineer at Chongqing Haifu Hospital and the State Key Laboratory of Ultrasound in Medicine and Engineering in the College of Biomedical Engineering at Chongqing Medical University in Chongqing, China.
The special issue includes 14 articles from research groups around the world on the topics of women’s health, oncology, musculoskeletal applications, and the development of the technology.
Specifically, the articles highlight recent clinical research on focused ultrasound treatment for uterine fibroids, uterine sarcomas, knee osteoarthritis, liver tumors, abdominal tumors, pancreatic cancer, desmoid tumors, cervical cancer, and the development of high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) in Asia and the United Kingdom.
The articles are:
- Introduction to a special issue of the International Journal of Hyperthermia: The status and prospects of the clinical applications of high intensity focused ultrasound By Wendy Zhang and Lian Zhang
- Pregnancy outcomes after ultrasound-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (USgHIFU) for conservative treatment of uterine fibroids: experience of a single institution by J. Rodriguez et al.
- Preliminary study on ultrasound-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound ablation for treatment of broad ligament uterine fibroids by Yiran Wang et al.
- The comparison of myomectomy, UAE and MRgFUS in the treatment of uterine fibroids: a meta-analysis by Fan Xu et al.
- Efficacy of ultrasound-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (USgHIFU) for uterine fibroids: an observational single-center study by Milka Marinova et al.
- MRI features and clinical outcomes of unexpected uterine sarcomas in patients who underwent high-intensity focused ultrasound ablation for presumed uterine fibroids by Qian Wang et al.
- Effectiveness of focused ultrasound for high risk human papillomavirus infection-related cervical lesions by Wenping Wang et al.
- Efficacy and safety of magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound treatment for refractory chronic pain of medial knee osteoarthritis by Motohiro Kawasaki et al.
- The safety and ablation efficacy of ultrasound-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound ablation for desmoid tumors by Rong Zhang et al.
- High-intensity focused ultrasound ablation of liver tumors in difficult locations by Simon H. Tsang et al.
- US-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) of abdominal tumors: outcome, early ablation-related laboratory changes and inflammatory reaction. A single-center experience from Germany by Tolga Tonguc et al.
- Is high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) an option for neoadjuvant therapy for borderline resectable pancreatic cancer patients? – a systematic review by Nadya Stanislavova et al.
- Oxford’s clinical experience in the development of high intensity focused ultrasound therapy by Ishika Prachee et al.
- The Asian Perspective on HIFU by Keen Whye Lee