Expert Profiles

Investigator Profile: Xiaoye Hu, MD

Key Points

  • Dr. Hu is a physician at the Second Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine who has treated more than 3,200 patients with focused ultrasound.  
  • This profile is provided in both English and Chinese.   

Dr. Xiaoye Hu is a physician in the Department of Medical Oncology at the Second Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine. He has spent more than 22 years in the field of focused ultrasound and treated more than 3,200 patients with a variety of different tumor types. In all, he has completed more than 7,000 focused ultrasound procedures, specializing in desmoid-type fibromatosis, soft tissue tumors, uterine fibroids, adenomyomas, and palliative treatment of advanced pancreatic cancer and other malignant tumors. 

We recently spoke with Dr. Hu about his current research and future plans. 

胡晓烨医生是浙江大学医学院附属第二医院肿瘤内科的医生。他在聚焦超声领域耕耘22余年,治疗过3200余例不同类型的肿瘤患者。他累计完成7000余例聚焦超声手术,专长于纤维瘤病、软组织肿瘤、子宫肌瘤、腺肌瘤以及晚期胰腺癌和其他恶性肿瘤的姑息治疗 

我们近期采访了胡医生,了解他目前的研究方向和未来计划。 

Focused Ultrasound Research 
聚焦超声相关工作 

How did you become interested in focused ultrasound? What are your research interests in the field?  
您是何时以及通过何种途径对聚焦超声 产生兴趣的?您在该领域的研究兴趣是什么? 

I first learned about high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) technology in 2002 and visited Beijing, Chongqing, and Shanghai to inspect related equipment and hospitals. At that time, HIFU technology was mainly used for benign tumors such as uterine fibroids, while I was primarily engaged in the treatment of malignant tumors. Therefore, I was always wondering if HIFU technology could make a difference in this field. I visited Peking University People’s Hospital, Zhongshan Hospital in Shanghai, and the Second Affiliated Hospital of Chongqing Medical University, and finally completed my HIFU training at Zhongshan Hospital in Shanghai. Then I started HIFU treatment in the Oncology Department of the Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University School of Medicine, initially as palliative treatment for advanced cancer. Later, I gradually began ablation treatment for uterine fibroids. 

我早年在2002年初步了解了聚焦超声HIFU技术,先后去北京,重庆和上海考察HIFU相关设备和医院。当时HIFU技术主要应用在子宫肌瘤等良性肿瘤的应用,而我当时主要是从事恶性肿瘤的治疗,所以一直在想HIFU技术能否在这个领域有所作为。当时考察参观了北大人民医院,上海中山医院,重庆医科大学附属二院,最后在上海中山医院完成了HIFU培训。然后在浙医二院肿瘤科开展HIFU治疗,当时是晚期癌症的姑息性治疗。后来逐步开展了子宫肌瘤的消融治疗。 

What other clinical indications you are researching? What are the goals of this work? 
您还在研究哪些其他临床适应症? 您此项工作的目标是什么? 

I found that HIFU was effective for treating some soft tissue malignant tumors, but the pain during treatment was intolerable. So we collaborated with the anesthesiology department to carry out HIFU ablation treatment under anesthesia. With the help of the hospital, I joined the Endoscopy Center in 2013 and routinely carried out HIFU treatment under anesthesia outside the operating room. The first patient with a desmoid tumor was treated in 2010; it was a severe case of intra-abdominal desmoid tumor. HIFU treatment was successful and saved the patient’s life. Afterwards, I noticed this rare tumor and gradually explored unique HIFU techniques, making significant progress. Slowly, patients with desmoid tumors from all over the country came to our hospital for treatment. During this process, I gradually realized the special significance of HIFU technology for patients with desmoid tumors. We also explored the application of our unique thermal accumulation HIFU technology. In addition, other focused ultrasound treatment modalities are applicable to soft tissue tumors, uterine fibroids, and palliative treatment of malignant tumors, which have also been improved and perfected in 22 years of treatment practice. My work is clinical treatment, and my goal is to treat and help patients using HIFU technology.  

发现HIFU对一些软组织恶性肿瘤有效果,但治疗时疼痛不能耐受。然后我们联合了麻醉科,开展了麻醉下HIFU消融治疗。在医院的帮助下,2013年加入内镜中心,常规开展了手术室外麻醉下的HIFU治疗。当时第一例韧带样瘤患者是在2010年治疗的,是一位严重的腹内型韧带样瘤患者。HIFU治疗很成功,挽救了患者生命。此后注意到这种罕见肿瘤,逐步探索出HIFU特殊的做法,取得了很大进步,慢慢的全国的韧带样瘤患者前来我院治疗。在这个过程中我慢慢意识到HIFU技术对韧带样瘤患者的特殊意义。同时也探索了我们特殊的热累积HIFU技术的应用。同时还有其他的治疗模式分别适用于软组织肿瘤及子宫肌瘤及恶性肿瘤的姑息性治疗,也在22年的治疗实践中进步完善。我的工作是临床治疗,目标就是通过HIFU技术治疗患者,帮助患者。 

What are your funding sources? 
您的资金来源有哪些? 

My main source of funding is my hospital, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University. 

我的主要资金来源是我所服务的医院,浙江大学医学院附属第二医院。 

Research Details 
研究详情 

Who are your team members?  
您的团队成员包括哪些人? 

Currently, my team is mainly located in the Department of Oncology at the Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University, consisting of three doctors, one full-time nurse, and two anesthesiologists rotating through the Endoscopy Center. 

目前我的团队主要在浙大二院肿瘤内科,包括三位医生,1名专职护士,还有内镜中心轮换的2名麻醉医师。 

Who are your internal and external collaborators? 
您的内部及外部合作者(注:内部合作者指机构内合作伙伴,外部合作者指跨机构合作伙伴)有哪些? 

Our main collaborators in treatment are the Departments of Colorectal Surgery, Breast Surgery, and Ultrasound Imaging. Our main collaborator in ultrasound physics is China Jiliang University. 

治疗方面主要合作者是大肠外科,乳腺外科和超声影像科。超声物理方面的主要合作者是中国计量大学。  

What is your greatest achievement? Have you experienced any major setbacks?  
您取得的最大成就是什么?是否有重大挫折经历? 

My greatest achievement is curing some patients with desmoid tumors and saving their lives. My biggest setbacks have been the complications of HIFU treatment, causing patients suffering, as well as unsatisfactory results, tumor progression, and ultimately, the inability to save lives. We have experienced the joy and happiness of successful treatments, as well as the pain of failures. Many factors contribute to this, but I believe the greatest challenge is precise energy control of the HIFU technology. 

我个人最大的成就就是治愈了一些韧带样瘤患者,挽救生命。最大的挫折是HIFU治疗出现并发症,给患者带来痛苦,还有是效果不理想,肿瘤进展,最后未能挽回生命。我们有治疗成功的快乐和幸福,也有失败的痛苦。因素很多,但我认为最大的困难是HIFU技术的精准的能量控制。 

What is on your research wish list?  
您的研究愿望清单(注:指研究中希望实现的目标、获取的资源等)包含哪些内容? 

My greatest wish is to precisely control the dosage of HIFU and the three-dimensional volume and shape of the tumor, especially its boundaries. I sincerely hope to achieve this and benefit humanity. 

所以我最大的愿望是能精准控制HIFU的剂量,和HIFU能量作用在肿瘤的三维体积形状。尤其是边界。非常希望能够实现,造福人类。 

Has the Focused Ultrasound Foundation supported for your work? 
聚焦超声基金会是否对您的工作提供过支持? 

Currently, we have not contacted any foundations and have no collaborative projects. 

目前我们还没有接触基金会,还没有合作项目。 

Clinical Details 
临床详情 

How many patients have you treated? 
您已治疗过多少名患者? 

Since 2002, I have treated approximately 3,300 patients, including some at other hospitals. 

从2002年开始,我大约治疗了3300多位患者,包括在其他医院治疗或指导治疗的。 

What are some highlights of your clinical research? 
临床研究中有哪些代表性案例 / 亮点成果? 

Currently, a clinical study on HIFU treatment for breast cancer is underway. Previous clinical studies have included palliative HIFU treatment for advanced pancreatic cancer. I eagerly anticipate clinical studies on HIFU treatment for desmoid tumors, especially familial adenomatous polyposis–related hereditary desmoid tumors. 

目前有乳腺癌HIFU治疗的临床研究正在进行中。以前有过晚期胰腺癌姑息性HIFU临床研究。非常期待能有韧带样瘤的HIFU治疗的临床研究。尤其是家族性腺瘤性息肉病 (FAP) 相关的遗传性韧带样瘤临床研究。 

Future Plans 
未来规划 

What are your next steps? 
下一步的工作计划是什么? 

I am very much looking forward to the opportunity to apply for research funding. My main research areas are the role of HIFU in the treatment of desmoid tumors, the characteristics of HIFU treatment in different types and stages of the disease, the mechanism of heat-cumulative HIFU, HIFU dosage control, imaging manifestations, and the synergistic effects of HIFU with chemotherapy and immunotherapy. 

非常期待能有机会申请研究资金,主要的研究方向是韧带样瘤的HIFU治疗地位,不同类型病期的HIFU治疗特点。还有热累积HIFU的机理,HIFU的剂量控制,影像表现。HIFU和化疗免疫的协同作用等。