- The Foundation and LabTAU recently expanded the curriculum of their free Massive Online Open Course (MOOC).
- New sessions address focused ultrasound applications for breast cancer, immunotherapy, histotripsy, neuromodulation, and more.
- The MOOC has also been migrated to a new hosting platform.
In September 2018, the Foundation collaborated with the Laboratory of Therapeutic Applications of Ultrasound (LabTAU), a focused ultrasound Center of Excellence, to launch a 12-session Massive Online Open Course (MOOC) dedicated to therapeutic ultrasound. Six new sessions have now been added to the curriculum, which has been moved to a new platform.
MOOCs are free online courses that provide a flexible way to learn new skills or become familiar with a new topic. This MOOC is targeted toward physicians, students, and patients who are interested in learning about clinical and technical research in the field of focused ultrasound. World-renowned experts in the field created 18 unique presentations covering technical explanations of various focused ultrasound applications and clinical case presentations.
More than 800 people follow the MOOC, and diplomas are available to students who complete 12 of the 18 courses. To date, 131 students have received a diploma.
The 18 sessions that are now available are as follows:
- “Neurological Disorders Treated by HIFU” by W. Jeffrey Elias, MD
- “Focused Ultrasound for Therapy” by Oleg Sapozhnikov, PhD
- “Ultrasound-Induced Bioeffects” by Gail ter Haar, PhD
- “HIFU for Treating Prostate Cancer” by Sébastien Crouzet, MD, PhD
- “Ultrasonic Imaging for HIFU Treatment” by Shin-ichiro Umemura, PhD
- “Drug Delivery by Ultrasound” by Chrit Moonen, PhD
- “What is Cavitation” by Lawrence Crum, PhD
- “Opening the Blood-Brain Barrier (BBB) by Ultrasound” by Alexander Carpentier, MD, PhD
- “MRI for Guiding HIFU Treatment” by Bruno Quesson, PhD
- “MR-Guided HIFU: A Pediatric Application” by Pejman Ghanouni, MD, PhD
- “Application of HIFU in Oncology” by Franco Orsi, MD, PhD
- “HIFU for Treating Glaucoma” by Florent Aptel, MD, PhD
- “Transcranial Ultrasound Stimulation (TUS)” by Jean-Francios Aubry, PhD NEW!
- “HIFU for the Treatment of Breast Cancer” by Allison Payne, PhD NEW!
- “Immunotherapy and Ultrasound” by Frederic Padilla, PhD NEW!
- “Mechanical Ablation with Ultrasound” by Zhen Xu, PhD NEW!
- “HIFU for Uterine Fibroids” by Sin Yuin Yeo, PhD NEW!
- “FUS with Intravenous Microbubbles” by Ying Meng, MD NEW!
To access all of the materials available on the platform, navigate to the Registration page, first select “Create your account,” and then “Register for the MOOC.” Participants who initially registered on Claroline should use the same email to create their account on the new platform.