- The 2022 Annual Meeting of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), “Neurosurgery Connected,” was held October 8–12, 2022, in San Francisco.
- The conference included discussions of focused ultrasound for movement disorders and for brain and spine tumors.
- All abstracts are available on the CNS 2022 app.
The 2022 Annual Meeting of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), “Neurosurgery Connected,” was held October 8–12, 2022, in San Francisco.
In one of the Saturday symposia, “Controversies in Movement Disorder Surgery,” Experts debated hot topics within the movement disorder community, including: What is the optimal technique: Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) vs. High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU)? The session included case presentations and discussion of complication avoidance or management. Course directors were Sharona Ben-Haim and André Machado, and faculty included Kara Beasley, Casey H. Halpern, Erika A. Petersen, Francisco A. Ponce, Tejas Sankar, and Jason M. Schwalb.
A session titled, “Intraprocedural Delivery of Adjuvant Treatments for Brain and Spine Tumors,” included microbubbles plus focused ultrasound. Its description stated, “Tumor surgeons are becoming increasingly involved with delivery of adjuvant treatment during their procedures.” The session highlighted recent advances in intraoperative radiation therapy, microbubble ultrasound, and laser interstitial thermal therapy (LITT) for spinal tumors. The session was moderated by Nancy A. Oberheim Bush and Tiffany R. Hodges. Faculty included Isabelle Germano (intraoperative radiation therapy), Christopher Cifarelli (microbubble ultrasound), Francesco DiMeco (LITT), and Claudio Tatsui (oral abstract presentations).
Five abstracts that may be of interest to the focused ultrasound community are listed below. The full text for these abstracts can be accessed by by downloading the CNS app (search “Congress of Neurological Surgeons” and look for the “Neurosurgery Connected” tagline).
165. Intra-arterial Mitochondria as Treatment for Cerebral Ischemia after Thrombectomy by M. Yashar S. Kalani, Pedro Norat, Michael Robert Levitt, Melanie Walker, Jennifer Sokolowski, Petr Tvridk, and Richard Price
Thermal Ablation Effects
209. What Happens to Brain Outside the Thermal Ablation Zones? An Assessment of Needle-based Therapeutic Ultrasound in Survival Swine by Benjamin Szewczyk, Phillip Johansen, Matthew Tarasek, Zahabiya Campwala, Rachel Trowbridge, Zhanyue Zhao, Zachary T. Olmsted, Chitresh Bhushan, Eric Fiveland, Goutam Ghoushal, Tamas Heffter, Farid Tavakkolmoghaddam, Charles Bales, Yang Wang, Dhruv Kool Rajamani, Katie Gandomi, Christopher Nycz, Erin Jeannotte, Shweta Mane, Julia Nalwalk, Clif Burdette, Gregory S. Fischer, Desmond Yeo, Jiang Qian, and Julie G. Pilitsis
381. Repeated Opening of the Blood-brain Barrier with the Skull-Implantable SonoCloud-9 (SC9) Device: Phase 1 Trial of Nab-paclitaxel and SC9 in Recurrent Glioblastoma by Adam M. Sonabend, Andrew Gould, Yu Luan, Ye Hou, Le Chen, Mikoto Kobayashi, Brandyn Castro, Daniel Zhang, Farida Korobova, Christina Amidei, Mark William Youngblood, John Patrick Bebawy, Benjamin P. Liu, Craig Horbinski, Carole Desseaux, Irene Helenowski, Hui Zhang, Miguel Muzzio, Feng Yue, Michael Canney, and Roger Stupp
853. Voxel-Based Analysis of Lesion and Edema in MR-Guided Focused Ultrasound Thalamotomy for Essential Tremor by Patrick Ng, Alfredo Morales Pinzon, Fardad Behzadi, Michele Cavallari, Andrzej Marciniak, Grégory Bliault, Kezia Irene, Clément Nicolas-Graffard, Sarah Blitz, Melissa Ming Jie Chua, David J. Segar, Bruno Madore, Matthew N. DeSalvo, Thomas Tourdias, Manoj Saranathan, Jason White, Nathan McDannold, Charles R.G. Guttmann, and G. Rees Cosgrove
874. Direct Visualization of Planned Resection Volumes with Microbubble-Enhanced MR-Guided Focused Ultrasound Blood-Brain Barrier Opening and Sodium Fluorescein in Infiltrating Gliomas by Abdul-Kareem Ahmed, Pavlos Anastasaidis, Dheeraj Gandhi, and Graeme Woodworth
To see the full text of all abstracts, download the free CNS App from your app store.