ISTU croppedThe International Society for Therapeutic Ultrasound (ISTU) held its 18th International Symposium for Therapeutic Ultrasound May 14–17 in Nashville, Tennessee.
During the symposium, the Foundation’s Director of Extramural Programs, Matt Eames, PhD, was elected to serve a three-year term on ISTU’s Board of Directors.
“I’m excited to join this dynamic board,” said Dr. Eames. “ISTU is a leading organization in the field, and it shares a mission with the Foundation to continually push the field forward in technology and medicine.”
The plenary and educational sessions included focused ultrasound topics presented by the following speakers:
- Seung-Schik Yoo: “Neuromodulation Using Focused Ultrasound – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.”
- Charlie Viviano: “Regulatory Pathway of High Intensity Ultrasound for Prostate Ablation.”
- George Schade: “Immunology for Physicists.”
- Kobi Vortmann: “Advanced Technologies: Their Impact on MRgFUS Systems & Clinical Applications.”
- Joo Ha Hwang: “HIFU in Oncology.”
- Ayache Bouakaz, & Hao-Li Liu: “Drug Delivery with Ultrasound and Microbubbles: Mechanisms and Applications.”
- Tatiana Khokhlova & Zhen Xu: “Everything You Need to Know about Histotripsy.”
- Dennis Parker: “Monitoring Treatments using MRI.”
All of the meeting’s scientific content, including complete abstracts, has been published in the Final Program and Abstracts book, a searchable PDF document. Searching for “Focused Ultrasound” returns 140 results, and “HIFU” returns 103 entries.