- The issue compiles 20 histotripsy articles from global research groups.
- Topics include liver tumors, blood clot degradation, urinary tract infections, immune system activation, and abdominal, brain, and tendon treatments.
- The volume is dedicated in memory of Dr. Charles Cain.
“Histotripsy: Approaches, Mechanisms, Hardware, and Applications” is the theme of the September 2021 special issue of the journal IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control. The issue was dedicated to the memory of Dr. Charles Cain. The volume includes 20 articles from research groups around the world and covers histotripsy applications for liver tumors, blood clot degradation, urinary tract infections, immune system activation, and abdominal, brain, and tendon treatments. There are also several technical papers addressing imaging, transducer development, and treatment simulation and modeling. Histotripsy is also being tested for neuromodulation.
The articles are:
- Introduction to the Special Issue on Histotripsy: Approaches, Mechanisms, Hardware, and Applications by Zhen Xu et al.
- “HIFU Beam:” A Simulator for Predicting Axially Symmetric Nonlinear Acoustic Fields Generated by Focused Transducers in a Layered Medium by Petr V. Yuldashev et al.
- Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound: A Useful Tool to Study and Monitor Hepatic Tumors Treated with Histotripsy by Xavier Serres-Créixams et al.
- Partial Respiratory Motion Compensation for Abdominal Extracorporeal Boiling Histotripsy Treatments with a Robotic Arm by Gilles P.L. Thomas et al.
- Modeling the Physics of Bubble Nucleation in Histotripsy by Matheus O. de Andrade et al.
- Inertial Cavitation Behaviors Induced by Nonlinear Focused Ultrasound Pulses by Christopher R. Bawiec et al.
- Endocavity Histotripsy for Efficient Tissue Ablation–Transducer Design and Characterization by Greyson E. Stocker et al.
- A Dual-Frequency Lens-Focused Endoscopic Histotripsy Transducer by Matthew G. Mallay et al.
- Transcranial MR-Guided Histotripsy System by Ning Lu et al.
- Dual-Use Transducer for Ultrasound Imaging and Pulsed Focused Ultrasound Therapy by Maria M. Karzova et al.
- Clot Degradation Under the Action of Histotripsy Bubble Activity and a Lytic Drug by Samuel A. Hendley et al.
- Histotripsy for the Treatment of Cholangiocarcinoma Liver Tumors: In Vivo Feasibility and Ex Vivo Dosimetry Study by Alissa Hendricks-Wenger et al.
- Focused Ultrasound Biofilm Ablation: Investigation of Histotripsy for the Treatment of Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTIs) by Christopher Childers et al.
- Focused Ultrasound Mechanical Disruption of Ex Vivo Rat Tendon by Molly Smallcomb et al.
- Histotripsy Ablation Alters the Tumor Microenvironment and Promotes Immune System Activation in a Subcutaneous Model of Pancreatic Cancer by Alissa Hendricks-Wenger et al.
- Liver Histotripsy Mediated Abscopal Effect—Case Report by Joan Vidal-Jové et al.
- Neuroprotective Effect of Ultrasound Neuromodulation on Kainic Acid- Induced Epilepsy in Mice by Junjie Zou et al.
- Association of Intima-Media Texture With Prevalence of Clinical Cardiovascular Disease by Christos P. Loizou et al.
- Real-Time In Vivo Imaging of Human Liver Vasculature Using Coherent Flow Power Doppler: A Pilot Clinical Study by You Leo Li et al.
- Analysis of Negative Capacitance-Based Broadband Impedance Matching for CMUTs by Ahmad Rezvanitabar et al.