The reimbursement status for focused ultrasound-related procedures in the US varies among the different indications.
The following outlines the reimbursement landscape of focused ultrasound therapy for the following conditions, as of October 2020:
- Essential tremor is reimbursed by Medicare in all states and covered through a combination of six commercial insurance companies in 33 states.
- Tremor-dominant Parkinson’s disease is reimbursed by Medicare in seven states, with no current commercial insurance coverage.
- Salvage therapy for local treatment of radiorecurrent prostate cancer is covered in 10 states through Medicare and all 50 states plus Washington, DC through a combination of five commercial insurers.
- Bone metastases has no Medicare coverage but is reimbursed in all 50 states plus Washington, DC though a combination of six commercial insurers.
- Treatment of uterine fibroids is not covered by Medicare or commercial insurers.