- Shanghai A&S Science Technology Development Co., Ltd. manufactures and markets diagnostic and therapeutic ultrasound devices in China and internationally.
- Its tumor ablation device, HIFUNIT9000, is used to treat uterine fibroids and various cancers.
- This company profile is available in both English and Chinese.
What is the name of the company?
Shanghai A&S Science Technology Development Co., LTD
Where is the company headquartered? Any additional locations?
Our company headquarters is in Shanghai and there are no other locations.
Does the company have a website?
How was the company started?
The company began in 2000.
How did you get involved in starting or joining the company?
I have been the Chairman and CEO of the company since 2000.
Tell us about your company structure: ownership, lead executives, and their roles.
Our shareholding structure is that Mr. Ye He owns 71% and the other individuals and institution owns 29%.
In general, what is the current status of your company?
The company is operating well.
How many years has your treatment platform been in development, and what are its origins? Does it have a name?
We have been developing our treatment platform for about 20 years. The name of our machine is called HIFUNIT9000. It is a focused ultrasound tumor ablation machine.
What are some of the technical challenges your group has to overcome to develop a fully noninvasive system?
We have improved its nondestructive temperature measurement technology, image fusion technology, and remote treatment system. We are striving to “intellectualize” the HIFU treatment.
What challenges do you have to tackle moving forward?
Speaking of cancer treatment, people often refer to surgery, cancer medication, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy or CAR-T treatment, which is now the focus of attention, but few people know that HIFU can also be applied to the field of cancer treatment. Through the transformation of modern surgical concept "from invasive to minimally invasive, and then to noninvasive," we hope that more and more medical experts can adopt HIFU technology and eventually make HIFU the mainstream cancer treatment and standard care.
Tell us about your clinical studies and the results.
We have carried out clinical cooperation with well-known hospitals, such as Huadong Hospital Affiliated to Fudan University, Sun Yat-sen University Hospital, Zhongshan Hospital Affiliated to Fudan University, Huashan Hospital Affiliated to Fudan University, Henan Cancer Hospital, and Xinjiang Uygur Municipal People's Hospital. Using Huadong Hospital Affiliated to Fudan University as an example, it has completed more than 20,000 HIFU treatments; the number of treatments, safety records, and treatment types are all leading in China and without serious complications.
What are the benefits of your technology over companies?
After many years of R&D and production, Shanghai A&S Technology has accumulated a lot of experience in the field of biomedical engineering. Compared with similar products, HIFUNIT9000 tumor ablation machine has several special features:
- Effectiveness: the A&S technology patent for multiple-array, dual-focusing technology ensures that the sound intensity at the focal point meets the treatment requirements and the area outside the focus remains in the safe treatment range.
- Safety: No anesthesia is needed during the treatment, and it will not harm normal organs such as the gastrointestinal tract. There are no serious complications or side effects.
- Precision: The treatment can determine the ablation range using real-time, accurate positioning of the ultrasound, and it can also be adjusted according to the actual situation during treatment.
- Synergy: Since no harmful substances are produced during HIFU treatment, not only will it not affect other treatment methods, but it can also improve the treatment effect together with other treatment methods.
- Comfort: Ours is the first domestic HIFU treatment device that has an upper probe. The patient is lying on his or her back during treatment (the device with a lower probe requires the patient to lie face down), and there is no need for the skin to directly contact with water, which greatly improves the comfort of treatment.
- Smart machine: We use a 3D reconstruction technology to save treatment time. We can also remotely provide assistance.
Have you learned any lessons for watching the experience of the other companies?
In order to avoid scalds and serious complications during patient treatment, we have achieved a perfect combination of safety and effectiveness of treatment in the design of our product.
Do you partner with other companies?
Is your system approved for commercial use in any markets? If so, how is it being used in these markets?
Our products have been sold to South Korea, Thailand, and the European Union, etc.
Which health conditions or diseases is your technology used for?
It is used for bone tumors, soft tissue tumors of the limbs and trunk, breast tumors, and liver tumors.