External Awards Program
The External Awards Program provides funding for investigator-initiated research projects that fall into either of two categories:
- Preclinical and pilot clinical studies that promise to lead to the development of a reimbursable clinical indication for focused ultrasound within the next five to seven years, or
- high-risk, early-stage, proof-of-concept projects that are unlikely to receive funding from other sources but that, if successful, could have a profound impact on the advancement of the field of focused ultrasound.
This program is not intended to fund projects aimed at developing new—or enhancing existing—technologies. Such projects will only be considered if the technology represents a gating factor in the near-term development of a reimbursable clinical indication.
The primary goals of the External Awards Program are four-fold:
- To develop new clinical indications for focused ultrasound technology
- To increase the awareness of focused ultrasound technology and techniques
- To facilitate regulatory approval of focused ultrasound technology
- To facilitate reimbursement of commercially-available focused ultrasound procedures
Successful applicants are typically awarded up to $100K for projects that can be completed within a year. Larger awards and longer funding periods may, however, be considered for exceptional proposals.
To apply for one of our research awards, please follow the two-step application process outlined in our application instructions and guidelines.
Submission Deadlines and Notification of Awards
Abstracts are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants will be notified within ten business days following submission of an abstract as to whether or not they have been invited to submit a full proposal.
Full proposals—both original and revised—MUST be submitted on or before the quarterly submission deadline* if they are to be included in the review cycle for that quarter (e.g., Applicants who wish to be notified of the Foundation's funding decision by May1st must submit their proposals to the Foundation on or before the February 1st submission deadline). Proposals received after the submission deadline will be included in the next review cycle.The next quarterly submission deadline for full proposals is November 1, 2013 (abstracts are due by October 18, 2013).
* Proposal Submission Deadlines:
|Submission Deadline|| Notification of Funding Decision
|February 1||May 15|
|May 1||August 15|
|August 1||November 15|
|November 1||February 15|